2020 Mural Festival
The public is welcomed to view the 3rd Annual Mural Festival this August 21-30, 2020. A total of 10 new murals will be painted by 10 different national and local artists at private properties through the arts district during the same 10 day period. This community-building project is the perfect fit for social-distancing, stimulating our local creative community with paid artist stipends and providing the public ample time to explore the district to watch the artists while they work.
Use the map to the right to find the featured murals! NEW mural markers are in RED.
read the press release 2020 Mural Festival Walking Map - COMING SOON
10 FEATURED ARTISTS & LOCATIONS:
- 1500 Studios at Bad Ass Coffee of Hawaii on 18th Street
- Brianna Cole at Croc’s 19th Street Bistro on 19th Street
- Marleigh Culver at Pink Dinghy on 19th Street
- Igor’s Custom at Wareing’s Gym on 19th Street
- Carl Medley at The Beach Bully on 19th Street
- Eli McMullen at The 17th Street Shops on 17th Street
- OnieTonie Designs at Superior Pawn on 17th Street
- Ruby Starcher (Featured TEEN Muralist) for MMM Good Studio on 17th Street
- Steve Swartz at Anchor Realty Group on 21st Street
- TALENT Murals at Best Value Hardware on 17th ½ Street
All 10 locations are located within a short 1.5 mile walk and were selected by the ViBe Creative District nonprofit over the last year as the locally owned businesses and property owners expressed interest in participating in the festival to support the district’s growth. Property owners selected the muralists from ViBe’s data base of over 200 artists who have applied to open calls in 2020 and recent years. Property owners have also committed to preserving the murals for a minimum of 2 years and posting a sponsor plaque to recognize the funders. These public artworks are visible 24 hours a day and help create a sense of place and arrival within the arts district. Visitors should plan to bring a mask, travel in small groups and practice safe social distancing.
NEW THIS YEAR
- A featured TEEN artist was selected from an Open Call for Teens to participate as a professional development arts opportunity. The teen will be offered opportunities to learn from other seasoned artists during the festival and will learn the process of being commissioned to create a site-specific artwork for a paid stipend. Over 75 teens applied for the 1 available wall.
- Daily walking tours and golf cart tours for persons with disabilities will be provided for small, socially distanced groups. Dates and times will be announced closer to the festival via ViBe’s website, social media pages and printed paper maps available throughout the district.
- Virginia MOCA has partnered with ViBe Creative District to host a special pop-up “commUNITY” mural with local artists Clayton Singleton and Josh Wade. Stay tuned for opportunities to sign-up to paint with the artists.
LIMITED EDITION TEES AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER
The first ViBe Mural Festival t-shirt featuring the 2019 Mural by John Hutchinson and Igor’s Custom AND an #ibeliveinvb Mural t-shirt designed by Malbon Creative for Benevolent Design Company are now available as a limited edition, pre-order through August 31st in partnership with Wave Riding Vehicles VB.order online now