/ / CALL TO ARTISTS: Crosswalk Designs
CALL TO ARTISTS:
City of Virginia Beach 18th Street road improvement projects to include 4 new creative crosswalk opportunities for artists
The City of Virginia Beach and ViBe Creative District are planning to add 4 NEW crosswalks to the Creative Crosswalk program in 2019. Artists are encouraged to submit designs for these new 4-arm crosswalks which will be produced with thermoplastic material during the 18th Street Road improvement projects scheduled to begin October 2018. This project will be the first of its kind in Virginia Beach and significant given that thermoplastic crosswalks are expected to have a lifespan of 5-10 years. Crosswalks are in the Virginia Beach resort area on 18th Street at the cross streets: Cypress Avenue, Mediterranean Ave, Baltic Avenue and Arctic Avenue. Construction is expected to take one year for the roadway project, during which the full-color thermoplastic crosswalk designs will be professionally applied to the fresh pavement by road construction crews. These colorful public artworks will create a sense of place and sense of arrival within the arts district for up to a decade.
Timeline for Call to Artists:
November-December 2017: Publish Call to Artists
December 31, 2017: Deadline for artists to submit artwork designs to ViBe Creative District nonprofit
January 31, 2017: Selected artists notified of winning designs
February 2018: Public announcement of selected artists and designs
To submit designs: Submit via Google Forms at https://goo.gl/forms/VikDlnsdSZ0sBrVt2 [PREFFERED] -OR- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject CROSSWALK DESIGN and the following information: Name, Address, Email, Phone, Social Media pages/handles, Artists’ statement, Resume or listing of recent professional work, attach up to 4 designs as jpegs.
• Artists must be United States residents and 18 years or older.
• The (4) artists with the chosen designs for Creative Crosswalks will each receive a one-time stipend of $2,000 their design and consent to reproduce artwork into thermoplastic material, as well as allow ViBe Creative District and City of Virginia Beach full use of artwork design and finished crosswalk installation images for a minimum of ten years. No additional copyright fees will be paid to artists. A W9 will be provided and must be completed in order to receive payment from the ViBe Creative District nonprofit.
Details regarding Creative Crosswalks Designs:
• All crosswalk designs must accommodate the two thick lines at the top and bottom of the crosswalk, which run perpendicular to the roadway traffic. See attached the provided Crosswalk Dimensions.
• Artists must create their design within the dimensions provided by drawing on or digitally inserting their artwork into the DESIGN TEMPLATE image provided.
• All artists are challenged to create a simple, aesthetically pleasing design that can be easily replicated with the thermoplastic printed materials. Artwork must be inserted into all four arms of the crosswalk.
• Content for Creative Crosswalks must be appropriate for the general public and cannot include: profanity, nudity, gang symbols, political content, advertisements of any kind, nor anything that may be deemed inappropriate or offensive.
• Creative Crosswalk designs must remain within the dimensions provided; DO NOT DESIGN OUTSIDE OF THE TOP AND BOTTOM LINES OF THE CROSSWALK TEMPLATE PROVIDED.
• Chosen designs will be selected by a review panel which may consist of representatives from the ViBe Creative District nonprofit, City of Virginia Beach offices of: City Manager, Public Works, Traffic Safety, Cultural Affairs, and Strategic Growth.
• The chosen artists will be notified by the ViBe Creative District and may be asked to make edits or revisions to design as needed by the City of Virginia Beach which oversees the road improvement projects.
• Artists will receive a final proof of the artwork from the contractor prior to the crosswalk being installed to ensure the original design standards are met. Installation dates for the artwork will be shared with artist.
• Selected artwork submissions will become property of the VIBE Creative District. The designs will be used for promotional use by the VIBE Creative District and City of Virginia Beach, both with and without credit as permitted per use for a minimum of ten years, as long as the crosswalk art appears on 18th Street.
• Artist name, mural title, image of crosswalk and any photographs or documentation of the process may be included in print or on websites and social media belonging to: VIBE Creative District and City of Virginia Beach and each organizations staff / members. Image credit with artist’s name will be encouraged but cannot be promised for print and online media.
Please contact Kate Pittman, Executive Director of ViBe Creative District non-profit with any questions regarding this application by calling 757-202-9533 OR email: Info@ViBeCreativeDIstrict.org .