CALL TO ARTISTS:
CALL TO LOCAL ARTISTS (18 yrs and older) – Must be a resident in one of the seven cities of Hampton Roads.
NEW Creative Crosswalk projects in ViBe District –FOUR NEW DESIGNS NEEDED
The ViBe Creative District is planning to add 4 new painted crosswalks to the popular Creative Crosswalk program. The crosswalk painting events will be held in APRIL 2019 to be determined based on availability of chosen artists and road closures coordinated by the City of Virginia Beach. The locations for these specific crosswalks are yet to be publicized but will fall within the ViBe Creative District boundaries. The colorful artworks create a sense of place and arrival within the arts district while emphasizing the walkability of the neighborhood.
Timeline for Project:
CALL TO ARTISTS: Feb 10-Mar 10, 2019. Application will close at midnight on March 10th, 2019.
Each artist may submit up to 3 designs. All designs must account for and include the white outlines of a traditional crosswalk as illustrated in the sample crosswalks below. Some overlapping of interior white lines may be permitted if it is pertinent to the design, however, the top and bottom lines may not be altered and must remain white. PDF or Image files only. Each file must be less than 10MB. ***The deadline for submissions is Sunday, March 10th at midnight.***
Artists selected will be asked to tweak designs to fit specific dimensions of crosswalk, depending on approved location with the City of Virginia Beach. Artists must be able to physically paint their design onto the roadway with the assistance of volunteers and community members.
Typical Timeline for Day of Crosswalk Painting: (Artists must be available for entire 12 hour period):
- 8am- ROAD CLOSED– Artist sketches design onto street within the crosswalk white lines
- 10am- Crosswalk Painting Begins – open to the public event — all welcome
- 1pm – All activities above end and touch up of crosswalk by artist / key volunteers occurs
- 2pm-8pm – Crosswalk paint dries / road remains closed
- 8pm – ROAD REOPENS
Artist Stipend: $1,000 per artist, four artists will be chosen. Artists will receive a check at the completion of the crosswalk painting event.
MANY THANKS TO OUR FUNDERS:
The artist stipends is generously supported by the Virginia Commission for the Arts
Paint and materials are sponsored by the Virginia Beach Arts and Humanities Commission.
The deadline for submissions is Sunday, March 10, 2019 at midnight. The dates of the painting events will be scheduled on a Saturday or Sunday in APRIL 2019. Artists must be present for the duration of painting 8am-8pm.
Timeline for Call to Artists:
- March 10: Deadline for artists to submit artwork designs to ViBe Creative District nonprofit by midnight
- March 22: Designs reviewed by City of Virginia Beach Public Art Committee
- March 25: Winning artists notified
- April 4: Public announcement of selected artists’ design and dates for crosswalk painting events in April
Details regarding Creative Crosswalks Designs:
- All crosswalk designs must accommodate the two thick lines at the top and bottom of the crosswalk, which run perpendicular to the roadway traffic AND the interior vertical lines. SEE TEMPLATE BELOW
- Artists must create their design within the template provided by drawing on or digitally inserting their artwork into the DESIGN TEMPLATE image provided.
- All artists are challenged to create a simple, aesthetically pleasing design that can be easily be painted in 3-4 hours with the assistance of volunteers and the public.
- Content for Creative Crosswalks must be appropriate for the general public and cannot include: profanity, nudity, gang symbols, political content, advertisements of any kind, nor anything that may be deemed inappropriate or offensive.
- Chosen designs will be selected by a review panel which may consist of representatives from the ViBe Creative District nonprofit, City of Virginia Beach offices of: City Manager, Public Works, Traffic Safety, Cultural Affairs, and Strategic Growth.